Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hello blogosphere! Ask my husband, my close friends, the other staff, (anyone who talks to me really) and they will confirm that I am not chomping at the bit to start this new hobby. However, I do have lots and lots of opinions about lots and lots of things. So, here I go.

For my first ever blog, I want to share a couple different scenarios that will hopefully bring me to a point that makes sense.

First, it was several years ago when one of my brothers (I have 3 and 1 sister) was trying to argue with me about the fact that the Bible does not say, "Thou shalt go to church". Of course he did not want to hear anything about the places that say "do not forsake the assembling..." kind of things and he didn't want to hear that Jesus went to church, or any other Biblical argument. I've never revisited the subject with him (not yet, anyway), but a couple different events have happened that help me solidify in my mind, why going to church is important (apart from all the Biblical reasons that my brother doesn't want to hear).

About a year ago (maybe longer) I was in church during the "praise and worship" time. I was a few rows behind an older couple that has been married at least 2 of my lifetimes. I happened to notice as the wife lovingly picked up her husbands left hand with both of hers, gently uncurled his crippling fingers and slipped her right hand into his left. It immediately brought tears to my eyes. It still does every time I think about it. What amazing dedication and love was demonstrated in that simple act. What a model for what marriage looks like many, many years down the road. What an honor to know this couple.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I now have 4 children. #3 is 3 years old and has just begun attending the praise and worship time with me. We were sitting toward the front of the building this time. I noticed Brenden (my 3 yr. old son) look across the aisle and look at Andy and Pastor Randy. I know it had to be those two men, because those were the only two people in his line of sight. Also, those two men had their hands raised, worshiping God. What does my sweet little boy do? He watches them for a short moment and then raised his right hand just like Andy and Pastor Randy. Again, the tears in my eyes. Do I think he was *worshiping God*? Yes I do. I know he doesn't *get it* like adults think they *get it*. But that Sunday he saw worship modeled by two Godly men and he is learning that men (other than just his Dad) worship God.

In children's church, and in adult church, we have been talking about being connected to community and how to do that, why we do that, etc. I know my brother is trying very hard to avoid the conviction that being part of a community of believers is important, but every time this kind of thing happens, it just reconfirms for me that a strong individual faith demands we be part of a community where godliness is modeled and we are held accountable to it.

So there it is. My first blog. Now stop harrassing me Don and Scott!

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Way to go Debra! Woohoo!! Congrats on your first post. It was a good one! I actually posted myself this morning on Community myself. We must be talking to the same God or something...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger the-unintentional-blogger said...

Isn't she cool?! It's funny that you both blogged about community. I've had a post in draft form on the same topic for a couple of days now. Now I'll just look like a follower if I post it! Ah well, there are worse things I could do than to follow the both of you...

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Bad Methodist said...

Welcome to the addiction... er... to blogging, Deb! :)

I think the community thing really hits the nail on the head, and the modeling thing, too. My dad once used the analogy of an ember from a fire going out unless it was connected to the rest of the fire. Definitely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home