Thursday, October 26, 2006

Time to Live

As I was driving back from school on Monday I heard a song on KLOVE by Superchick that got me thinking. Now, to be quite honest, I didn't care for the musicality of the song - it was not very melodic at all, but more rhythmic; it was kind of a mix of hip-hop/rap with a little bit of a latin feel - not my cup of tea. But the lyrics were quite thoughtful and inspiring. The song was essentially a series of stories about people coming to terms with mortality (a mother losing her son in a car accident, a man with cancer sitting in a doctor's office waiting for the test results), and the chorus is basically a reminder to LIVE, and not to put off living.
We live, we love, we forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
And today we remember to live and to love
The one verse/line that really hit me was this one:
There's a man who waits for the tests to
See if the cancer had spread yet
And now he asks why did I wait to live 'til it was time to die
If I could have the time back, how I'd live
Life is such a gift
So how does the story end?
Well, this is your story and it all depends
So don't let it become true
Get out and do what we were meant to do
I know for me it is very true that I tend to put off doing the really important things until something unpleasant smacks me in the face and reminds me. Can I get a witness?! I love how that last verse turns from the story of some other person to "this is your story." We all have a responsibility to make sure we're not squandering our life. Each day really is "a gift from above," and we ought to cherish every day, every moment...Well said Superchick!

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger the-unintentional-blogger said...

I have one of Superchik's albums. They are a band dedicated to seeing teen-agers become the people God has called them to be. Even though I'm not a huge fan of their music, I love the fact that their songs are about teenagers overcomming obstacles and living their lives morally. They've had some success in the mainstream and just got picked up by a secular label.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home