Thursday, October 26, 2006

How Are You Doing?

This is the first blog from the Staff Assistant at Hope Chapel, and I must confess, it is much easier for me to talk than write. Regardless, here goes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week, I had an appointment with my cardiologist at 7 am, and as I was finishing the second half of my annual checkup, I arrived a little early. I received an injection and went to the waiting room to give time for the medication to go through my body. (A big challenge)

I was glancing at a magazine, when a man came into the waiting room and sat down. He picked up the morning paper, and I assumed there would be no communication, when suddenly he asked, "How are you Andy"? I looked at him, and thought, who is this? I replied, "doing good", and then he asked, "how is your wife?"

At this point,I was totally lost, for I had no idea who he was. (No, it is not my age.) I answered him and then he stated he had seen George lrecently. My question to myself was, I do not even know who you are, and now George had been added to the mix. I was confused!!

After a couple of minutes of small talk where I did not know who or what he was talking about, something clicked, and I remembered him. Her was my salesman in Montana years ago, and was to be the recipient of a down sizing. This he did not deserve, and I moved him to Phoenix so he could finish out his career and retire. After that, we had a great time of recalling our time together, and many of the other people. It was a good visit.

As I was thinking about this on the way home, I wondered how many times had God sat down next to me and asked, "how are you doing Andy." and I did not recognize Him?. How many times has He tried to have a conversation, and i was not listening?

Then I remembered, I had not seen Gordon for almost 20 years. No wonder I did not know who he was at first. On the other hand, I had been part of God's family for many years.

I do know I have a long way to go in developing a deep and intimate relationship with God, but I have come a long ways, by the grace of my Jesus. It scares me to think there may have been times I have missed recognizing God's presence, for whatever reason. This has brought my emotions to the surface as never before, as this thought grieves me.

It is my intent to stay in touch with Gordon and renew our relationship. At the same time I pray I will miss those times when God draws near. May I always remember God is with me, His presence surrounds me, His Grace sustains me, and His love overwhelms me. Who would want to miss this?

To God be the glory!!

Andy

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Andy,
This is great! I can understand fully why this man would not forget YOU, even after 20 years!

Welcome to blogging!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Debra said...

I love it when God brings people back into my life. I love the connection to my *history*. I always believe it is God who orchestrates those moments. People always say, "what a small world we live in." However, to us, if we're honest, the world is huge! It's small to God. I love how He reminds me of this.

I'll ditto Bethany: Welcome to blogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home