Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

On the way to my nephew's house today, Scott and I were listening to Dennis Prager. (How do I spell his name?). He had a fabulous show (at least the hour we heard) where immigrants, or children of immigrants, called in saying how and why they were thankful for America. If it's possible to get a copy of today's show, I think it would be worth it. It is so amazing how incredibly patriotic immigrants are. It is so immensely disappointing how non-patriotic many non immigrants are. Due to several different circumstances and conversations in the last couple weeks, I have been thinking a lot about how much America changed in the 1900's. I think (from what I've been studying with my kids), Americans used to feel so blessed to be here and felt honored for the opportunity to work hard and to help each other succeed (for the most part). The immigrants I heard today all had that kind of attitude. It is so sad to me what an incredible "right of entitlement" so many American's have today. Does it have to do with the fact that most of us Americans are many generations away from the "original immigration" in our family? No one owes you anything. It is a blessing to be in a country where you work hard to succeed. How do we turn the tide back to being honored to be a part of this fabulous country? One immigrant said something to the effect that it is "like winning the lottery to be born in the US." Isn't it sad that so many "natives" think it's "cool" to degrade our most fabulous country?

Several years ago I heard Michael Medved speak at the homeschool conference. I frequently think about his speech. One of the most interesting and I think true statements he made was that we must teach our children gratitude. Teach them to be grateful for what others fought for (and are still fighting) and worked for (and are still working) to make this great country. It is embarrassing and shameful to me that so many "popular people" in this country are so quick to degrade it. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I pray I am able to do a good job teaching all the children in my realm of influence that no one "owes" them anything and it is their responsibility to work hard, help others, and be grateful to God, their families, those who are protecting us as we speak, and those that have gone before us to give us what we have!

Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of being born in this wonderful country. May we make you proud.

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger the-unintentional-blogger said...

You are so right. I loved the story of the Russian immigrant who said every time he's in a gathering of Russia immigrants (and that happens quite often), two things happen. There is Vodka flowing, and somebody always raises a toast to the United States of America. This gentleman was recounting horrible tragedies that happened in his past without any emotion in his voice, but when he got to the part about raising a toast to America, THEN he gets choked up. Now THAT's gratitude, and I pray that I always remember to be grateful to my God for my life and my country. Thanks Deb for this Thanksgiving blog entry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home