Thursday, November 02, 2006

Clutz Eternal...

So, I'm a clutz. I hide it pretty well only because I've lived with it my whole life and I've learned how to adapt. In fact, because of all the things I've knowcked over, bumped into, spilled, tripped over, etc., I've developed near superhuman reflexes. These refelxes are by no means natural, but very much acquired through necessity. Actually, it has become quite renowned in my family the amazingness of my quick reflexes. Take, for instance, one experience I had at a movie theater. I was coming from the concession stand with my dad. He had the popcorn, I had the fountain drinks - one in each hand. However, when it came time to give the attendant my ticket, I had a dilemma because I didn't have any hands free. So, I stancked the drinks, one on top of the other, handed the guy my ticket, and turned to walk toward the theater. However, the top cup tipped over, fell, did a full head-over-heels flip and then - I caught it befor it hit the ground and didn't spill a drop...thank you, thank you very much.
So, I just had another of these moments the other day. There is a clock on top of my tv that stands about 8-10 inches tall. On this particular day there was also a CD next to the clock on my tv protruding slightly over the edge of the tv. Somehow unbeknownst to me (clutzes rarely need to know how it happens - it just happens) I knocked the clock forward off the tv (toward me...somehow), I juggled it for about a second or two, and while in the process the clock hit the edge of the CD sending it flipping end over end into the air - note that I am still juggling the clock. So, finally I get the clock stabilized and TA-DAA, I catch the CD on the back of the clock.
Nothing hits the floor. And what is most impressive. I had something in my other hand...

4 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

This cracks me up! Somehow I want to set up a "clutz moment" up for you at worship practice just so I can witness such an amazing feat!!! You think you could recover from such a moment while, at the same time, playing guitar?!?!
Bethany

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Dr. Don said...

Nice Jeff. I have witnessed these reflexes, so I can testify to their existence. See, turning 26 has not caused to to lapse suddenly into uncontrolled drooling and random losses of memory. That, I'm told, doesn't happen until you turn 50. Randy and Andy may know more about that.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger the-unintentional-blogger said...

I can TOTALLY visualize you doing this! What I want to know is why those of us who are equally clutzy haven't developed the same skills as you have. Yesterday I knocked over an entire glass of water right on the exact spot my remote control for my DVD player was sitting. Everything stopped working. I went online and ordered a new remote. 1/2 hour later , it started working again. So what I'm wondering is...can I take agility lessons from you?!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Debra said...

ROTFL!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home